1. Provide us your mobile phone number so that we will text and remind you of your disconnection date about three times prior to disconnection of your power supply. We will also broadcast on the radio the name of the areas which we intend to disconnect so that you will have sufficient time to come and pay your arrears.
2. Sometimes, we are unable to disconnect your power supply due to unavoidable circumstances (e.g. heavy rain). Also, in some circumstances, you are due to be disconnected, but you come to pay your arrears before we disconnect your power supply. In these situations, you will still be required to pay $20 disconnection fee since in our computer system your account has been flagged for disconnection, and we have already incurred costs.
3. If your power supply has been disconnected and you need to be reconnected on the same day, you are required to pay your arrears on or before 12.00pm on that day. If you pay your arrears after 12.00pm, your power supply will be reconnected on the next business day. If you require power supply to be reconnected on the same day, but have paid after 12.00pm, you will be required to pay extra $20 reconnection fee in addition to the $20 disconnection fee. This extra charge is to cover after working hour’s costs of getting you reconnected. After hour reconnection can only be done after 5.00pm.
4. We are governed by the Electricity Commission by a long disconnection policy, where your meter will be removed from your premises after three months of disconnected supply or non-payment (at TPL discretion).
5. If you are going overseas for more than three months or there are other extenuating circumstances where you do not want us to remove your meter, you are required to inform us and then a meter reading will be arranged, and you are to pay all current usage plus any arrears before your departure. We will flag your supply to ensure it stays connected. In these circumstances, we will not disconnect or remove your meter from your premises. On your return you will have to clear any accumulated arrears on your account.
6. If you have unpaid arrears with us for more than three months, your meter will be disconnected and then be removed. If you require reconnection of power supply, your connection becomes a new connection. In this situation, you are required to pay all the applicable charges of a new power supply and our obligations to the Electricity Commission require us to receive a copy of a new certificate of compliance before connecting. This certificate is kept on record for annual auditing purposes.
7. Please inform us if you happen to know that someone is stealing electricity by-passing the meter or tampering with the meter. We will treat your communication in strictest confidence. If it is proved a genuine by-pass or meter theft situation, we will reward you as follows:
Single phase meter by-pass - $100 reward (generally residential)
Three phase meter by-pass - $200 reward (generally commercial but can be a large house)
CT meter by-pass - $300 reward (larger commercial premises)
We treat electricity theft as serious and power theft increases everybody else’s bills.